Every woman in the colony of Victoria was asked to donate one shilling (about $40 today) to fund a hospital for women and children and, in a stroke of marketing genius, ‘to do honour to their Queen’. Celebrations were high on 22 June 1897, Jubilee Day – the Shilling Fund had raised 3,162 pounds, 11 shillings and nine pence. The Provisional Committee bought the old Governess’ Institute on Mint Place, off Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne, for £2000 and moved there on 12 July 1899. Opened with much fanfare, it had an outpatients’ clinic, a dispensary, eight beds for inpatients and an operating theatre.
(Source: Queen Victoria Women’s Centre.)