In May 2008 the Prime Minister, the Hon. Kevin Rudd MP, and the Minister for the Status of Women, the Hon. Tanya Plibersek MP, announced the establishment of an eleven-member National Council to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children (the Council). They asked the Council to lead a public national conversation and produce a National Plan of Action to reduce the incidence and impact of domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
- Release of report from Queensland Special Taskforce on Domestic and Family Violence
- Announcement of COAG Advisory Panel to Reduce Violence Against Women
- Rosie Batty named Australian of the Year
- Second Action Plan 2013-2016 of the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children
- First Indigenous Woman Elected to Federal Parliament – Nova Peris