Australia’s gun control legislative reform in response to the 1996 Port Arthur massacre was a significant shift in public policy with increased community safety as an objective. Women’s groups in Australia welcomed the legislative reform, which was seen to also increase the overall safety of women, particularly in rural areas.
- Release of report from Queensland Special Taskforce on Domestic and Family Violence
- Announcement of COAG Advisory Panel to Reduce Violence Against Women
- Rosie Batty named Australian of the Year
- Second Action Plan 2013-2016 of the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children
- First Indigenous Woman Elected to Federal Parliament – Nova Peris