NSW introduced the Crimes (Domestic Violence) Amendment Act 1982 and the De Facto Relationships Act 1982, both specifically to address the position of women experiencing violence in the family and enabling them to prosecute their husbands.
- Release of report from Queensland Special Taskforce on Domestic and Family Violence
- Announcement of COAG Advisory Panel to Reduce Violence Against Women
- Rosie Batty named Australian of the Year
- Second Action Plan 2013-2016 of the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children
- First Indigenous Woman Elected to Federal Parliament – Nova Peris