The Commonwealth took responsibility for a uniform Australian marriage law, with the enactment of the Marriage Act 1961 (previously State laws were all different). The Marriage Act also enabled civil celebrants to conduct marriage ceremonies.
- Release of report from Queensland Special Taskforce on Domestic and Family Violence
- Announcement of COAG Advisory Panel to Reduce Violence Against Women
- Rosie Batty named Australian of the Year
- Second Action Plan 2013-2016 of the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children
- First Indigenous Woman Elected to Federal Parliament – Nova Peris